- Wash your hands often with soap under warm running water for at least 20seconds.
- Use an alcohol-based hand rub if soap and water are not available.
- Practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette:
- Cover your mouth and nose with your arm to reduce the spread of germs.
- If you use a tissue, dispose of it as soon as possible and wash your hands afterwards.
- If you are sick, avoid contact with more vulnerable people, including older adults and people who have a chronic disease. For example, avoid visiting people in hospital, people living in residential and long-term care centres or in private residences.
- Avoid direct contact when you greet someone, such as shaking hands, and use alternative ways to greet people.
Every individual has their part to play to reduce the risk of spreading viruses.
Masks are not an effective means of protection for the general public. Their use is indicated more for patients who are suspected of being infected and for the health professionals who are providing care for them. You can watch the message from Dr. Horacio Arruda (French only), Québec Director of Public Health, on the topic.
If you are worried or anxious about the coronavirus, you can contact the toll-free line 1 877 644-4545. To help you minimize the repercussions of these kinds of reactions on your life, see the Stress, Anxiety and Depression Associated With the Coronavirus COVID-19 Disease.
COVID – 19 Self-care Guide
In order to protect you effectively and to better understand the issues related to COVID-19, the Quebec government is circulating a self-care guide to let you know the best ways to protect yourself and to give basic care to the people around you.
COVID-19 – Tips for Managing Stress and Anxiety
We are currently going through a difficult period due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is normal for you to experience stress and anxiety. Here are some tips to help you reduce the stress you may experience.